About Becket, MA
Becket, Massachusetts is a small town located in Berkshire County, in the western part of the state. The town is primarily known for its natural beauty, including several state parks and forests, as well as its vibrant arts and culture scene.
Here are some things to know about the town of Becket:
- Natural attractions: Becket is home to several state parks and forests, including the October Mountain State Forest, which is the largest state forest in Massachusetts. The forest offers opportunities for hiking, fishing, camping, and wildlife viewing. The town is also home to the Becket Land Trust, a nonprofit organization dedicated to preserving the natural beauty of the area.
- Arts and culture: Becket is home to the Jacob's Pillow Dance Festival, which is one of the premier dance festivals in the United States. The festival features performances by internationally renowned dance companies, as well as classes and workshops for dancers of all skill levels. In addition to the dance festival, Becket is home to several art galleries and studios, as well as the Berkshire Theatre Group, which presents plays and musicals throughout the year.
- Historic sites: Becket is home to several historic sites, including the Becket Quarry, which was once one of the largest producers of granite in the world. The quarry is now a popular destination for rock climbing and hiking. The town is also home to the Becket Meeting House, which was built in 1841 and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
- Outdoor recreation: In addition to the state parks and forests, Becket offers plenty of opportunities for outdoor recreation. The town is home to several lakes and ponds, including Center Pond and Yokum Pond, which are popular destinations for fishing and boating. The Appalachian Trail also runs through the town, offering opportunities for hiking and backpacking.
- Community events: Becket hosts several community events throughout the year, including the Becket Arts Center Annual Juried Show, the Becket Summer Concert Series, and the Becket Arts & Crafts Show. The town also hosts an annual Fall Festival, which features live music, food vendors, and activities for the whole family.
- Skiing and snowboarding: Becket is home to the Ski Butternut resort, which offers skiing and snowboarding in the winter months. The resort features 22 trails and 10 lifts, making it a great destination for winter sports enthusiasts.
- Fishing and kayaking: The West Branch of the Westfield River runs through Becket, offering opportunities for fishing and kayaking. The river is stocked with trout and is known for its scenic beauty.
- Yoga and wellness retreats: Becket is home to the Kripalu Center for Yoga & Health, which offers a wide range of yoga and wellness retreats throughout the year. The center also features a cafe, bookstore, and healing arts center.
- Wineries and breweries: Becket is located in the heart of the Berkshire region, which is known for its wineries and breweries. Visitors can take a tour of the Balderdash Cellars winery or sample craft beer at the Big Elm Brewing brewery.
- Scenic drives: Becket is located in a scenic area of Massachusetts, with winding roads and picturesque landscapes. Visitors can take a drive along the Jacob's Ladder Scenic Byway, which runs through Becket and offers stunning views of the surrounding mountains and forests.
- Camping: Becket is a great destination for camping, with several campgrounds in the area. The Bonnie Brae Campground and the Laurel Ridge Camping Area both offer campsites and RV hookups.
- Shopping and dining: Becket is home to several small shops and restaurants, including the Dream Away Lodge, which is a popular destination for live music and delicious food. Visitors can also browse antiques and gifts at the Becket General Store
Becket is a charming town that offers a variety of activities and attractions for visitors and residents alike. Whether you're interested in the arts, outdoor recreation, or simply enjoying the natural beauty of the area, there's something for everyone in this picturesque town.
Official Link: https://www.townofbecket.org/