Anti static bags are plastic bags, topically treated ones, which are used to store electronic products in order to reduce static electricity. Herein the inside of the bag provides protection to the electronic goods stored.
The need to protect the electronic components and computer boards from electrostatic discharge during handling, shipping and assembling is the major driving force behind development of these antistatic packaging bags. These bags not only save millions of dollars each year for the electronics and computer industries but also dwarf all the commercial and industrial antistatic termination activities.
The Antistatic bags are normally coated with a topical antistatic agent, which helps in minimizing the generation of the static imbalance from turboelectric generation or contact and separation. Few antistatic bags are made with an antistatic built into the films layers and are generally more reliable and cleaner than the topically treated ones. A good bag should have antistatic properties on both the inside and outside of the film construction of the bag.
Features of Anti Static Bags
1. These bags are of simple design and construction.
2. These bags are made of antistatic agent material on/in film.
3. These are ideal for hardware, electronic goods and non-ESD assembles.
4. These bags provide shielding to the electronic goods and consumables.
Antistatic and static shielding materials, commercially, are available in different shapes and sizes. Apart from the thickness, scratch resistance, and so on, the technical specifications generally refer to either MIL specifications or some measure of the rate of charge indulgence. Dissipative Bags are also available in the market with the films surface resistance in the dissipative range and are preferred because of the charge it dissipates across the surface at a controlled rate. Most of these dissipative bags have the property of being antistatic. These are good general bags to be used in non-critical environments.
Benefits of Anti Static Bags
1. Anti static bags are inexpensive.
2. Provides permanent antistatic properties
3. Provides effective shielding eliminating the electrostatic discharge.
4. Protects the item at the time of shipping, handling, etc.
5. Adds to overall Electrostatic Discharge program.
6. Gives humidity independent performance
7. Eliminates contamination and corrositivity of packaged contents
8. Has excellent moisture vapor barriers.
9. These bags are heat seal ability
10. Provides film transparency.
Many of these bags have been tested for its authenticity. One instance indicates that a person need not ground these bags for its electrostatic charge. Had grounding been necessary, the antistatic bags would have been less convenient and effective than they actually are as electric charge detests the inside surface of any negated enclosed by conductive material. For a bag (that is not grounded), the charge simply stays on the outside where it harmlessly remains. Considering the problem of removing a sensitive electronic component or board from a charged bag, if the bag is handled by a person, contact with the hand serves to ground the bag and remove the charge. However, if the person wears insulating gloves, the component may draw a strong electrical spark as it is withdrawn from the bag and may be damaged.
A variety of Antistatic bags are available in the market to match your requirement. Few of the preferred ones are listed below:
1. Pink Antistatic Polythene bags: - These are 2 to 6 mil pink antistatic polyethylene bags. These bags are manufactured from amine free antistatic film. These bags normally have a life span of three years. The best part about these bags is that they are not damaged by wrinkling or creasing and are heat sealable. These bags do not generate static charge. This makes them ideal for use as computer workstation dust covers, parts or tool bags and in the storage areas.
2. Loc-Top Pink Amine Free Antistatic Resalable Polyethylene Bags: - These bags are available in 4 and 6 mil. The
main feature of this bag is its antistatic zipper, which allows the user to open and close it frequently without reducing the bags antistatic properties. These bags protect static sensitive electronic components in a static free environment. For the best use of static protection, these bags have to be used in conjunction with other antistatic materials.
3. Transparent Metallic Static Shielding Bags: - These bags are manufactured with a transparent layered lamination, which provides best possible static shielding with maximum visibility. The inner layer of this bag prevents static generation inside the bag. It is bonded to a metallic polyester layer providing static shielding of the contents from the external sources. The scratch resistant exterior enables maintaining the bags static shielding capabilities even under rough handling and reuse. These bags are best suited for sensitive electronic components that require assured protection and reuse.
4. Loc-Top Metallic Static Shielding Re-sealable Bags: - These top-of-the-line static shielding bags are transparent providing maximum visibility. They have layered lamination, which prevents static generation both inside and outside the bag while the metallic layer offers maximum static shielding. The multi-track antistatic zipper can be opened and closed with ease enabling the reuse of bag multiple times without any loss of the antistatic properties of the bag. These bags are used for sensitive electronic component that have to be protected and reused.
5. Loc-Top Re-closable Zipper Pink Antistatic Bubble Cushioned Bags: - The plastic bubbles cushioned Anti static bags are manufactured with two layers of lamination. One layer of 4-mil anti-static pink polyethylene and another layer of anti static bubble cushioning. The main feature of this bag is the pink anti static zipper and an anti-static document pocket. Many prefer these bags as they provide both physical and static protection. This makes them ideal for delicate and sensitive electronic components.
Thus, numerous bags, each having a distinct feature, are available to cater to the users need. These enable protecting the electronic components and computer boards during handling, shipping and assembling. This in turn enables the reuse of the component. Vital developments in polymers, specially conductive polyethylene and sophisticated laminates having a thin film that is metallized has provided the scope for anti static material and products. This has not only given birth to a multi-million dollar packaging industry, but also has saved millions of dollars each year for the electronics and consumer industries.